It’s that time of year again. On September 28th, don’t miss out on WordCamp Vancouver 2019! Located at the UBC Robson Square and civic plaza, and a short distance from Vancouver Harbor, this beautiful location accompanies the event quite nicely.
And while you’re there, stop by and meet up with our very own Philip Crout! He will be there ready to answer questions and hand out some fun GreenGeeks swag.
Though, I’m just jealous that he gets to hang out at a WordCamp in BC, Canada.
What to Expect at WordCamp Vancouver
This one-day event is chocked full of awesome talks. It’s a lot to pack into one day, but you’ll find a lot of information and make a few new friends in the process.
This year, you’ll find sessions such as:
- Design Principles for Web Developers: How to Make Your Websites Look Good
In this session, Anne Emberline will give you some tips and suggestions for making a website “look good” when clients want more visual appeal to their pages. When you consider how important first impressions are, you’ll definitely want to sit in on this one.
- Freelance Hacks!
A lot of people are moving from the traditional 9-to-5 grind and into freelancing. Christina Varro will share ways to be more productive and reach greater levels of success. Anyone who works for themselves should want to hear her talk.
- How to Blog About Anything and Get a Million Views – It’s Never Too Late To Start A WordPress Blog
Getting attention to your website is paramount if you want a successful blog. Ann Beaudet will talk about her own success story and how you can go from nothing to a million views on your own WordPress site.
- Migrating, Converting, and Managing Blocks in PHP
While Gutenberg blocks might have their place in WordPress, there may come a time when you need to edit these within PHP. In this session, Jeremy Felt goes over how to edit and manage blocks in PHP as well as problems you may come across.
- The Layman’s Guide to Optimizing Your WordPress Website
Not everyone knows the most efficient ways to optimize WordPress. Alexanndre Levan will help by giving practical advice and methods to streamline your site ranging from caching to picking the perfect host for your needs.
From learning more about WordPress to professional advice in your freelancing career, WordCamp Vancouver has a lot to offer.
In fact, I would love to attend the talk by Sara Mansouri, “How We Can Make Our Website More Fun and Engaging by Learning from Game Design Techniques.”
I love the idea of gamification, and connecting it with website development simply makes sense. Also, it’s a great way to keep visitors coming back for more.
Fun Facts About Vancouver
While you’re attending WordCamp, realize where you are. It’s in Vancouver! And there is a lot to take in. This is especially true given the location of the event. You’re smack-dab in the middle of a lot of museums and cultural locales.
Some of the fun things I found about Vancouver include:
- The city is only third when it comes to feature film production in North America. Only Los Angeles and New York surpass Vancouver in this regard. However, most productions in Vancouver are American, and not Canadian.
- Ever thought about botox injections? It’s a widely popularized treatment worldwide, and it was invented in Vancouver.
- Vancouver is a rainy city. With an average of 165 days of rain per year with an average fall of 57.36 inches of water, it surpasses Seattle USA in precipitation. For comparison, Seattle only gets 37.49 inches of rain per year.
So while you’re attending WordCamp Vancouver, it might be a good idea to take your umbrella. There’s a good chance you might get a little wet.
But this only adds to the green beauty of the parks and nature within the landscape.
We’ll Be There Soon, Vancouver!
There’s a lot of great talks going on at WordCamp, which should pique anyone’s interest who uses WordPress. While you’re there, don’t forget to stop by and introduce yourself to Phil. He’ll be the one with the smiling face standing next to our GreenGeeks banners.
Have a safe and awesome weekend, everyone!