WordPress has rapidly moved from being a blogging site to becoming an online store platform. WordPress has a lot of e-commerce plugins, out of which WP e-Commerce is always a standardized option. It is a free WordPress shopping cart plugin that helps you to easily sell your products, downloads or services online.
WP e-commerce has everything that you would require to build an online store and promote your sales easily. Some of the features are listed below:
- 100% Customizable: You can make your dream come true by customizing your site the way you want, using your own CSS and HTML. You can also modify the templates easily.
- Streamlined Checkout: You can fully customize your checkout page also. You can have a shopping cart with tax and shipping estimates.
- Payment Gateway Integration: This plugin allows for manual payment and also integrates with Google Checkout, PayPal, Payment Express and many other trusted payment processors. You can move one step further with a greater level of integration with BluePay, iDEAL, SagePay, DPS, PayPal Payflow pro, etc., if you opt for a premium upgrade “Gold Cart Plugin”.
- Marketing: You can utilize the existing options like Multi-tier Pricing for quantity discounts, New Products Widget, Free Shipping option display, etc. It also integrates with Facebook Marketplace, Google Base, Campaign Monitor for advanced e-mail marketing and Intense Debate for shared comments.
- Search Engine Optimization: It is 100% search engine friendly and supports RSS feeds for products and categories.
- Flexible Shipping Options: You have flexible built-in shipping rate calculators. It caters to various shipping rates like flat rate shipping, table rate shipping and weight rate shipping. It integrates with UPS, USPS, Australia Post and Shipwire for real-time shipping rates.
- Catalog Management: You can manage your catalog easily with options like tax rates per location, support for donations, customer personalized products, media manager with automatic image resizing and many more.
- Catalog Browsing: You can provide a catalog browsing option with features like Product listing in list format, Product availability, Product Image Zoom-in Capability, Product Comments, etc. You can have additional options such as live product search or product listing in grid format with the premium upgradations of the plugin.
WP e-Commerce is available free of cost and you can install it easily. Just like any other WordPress plugin you can install it from the Plugin Manager in the WordPress Admin. After installation you will have to activate the plugin. Once the plugin in installed, you can see a menu named Products which when clicked, displays an empty product catalog.
You can increase your WP e-Commerce Plugin functionality by purchasing certain WP e-Commerce Add-Ons. These additional features change the site presentation and market your products better. Certain Premium Add-Ons are listed below:
- Gold Cart Plugin
- WP e-Commerce – Product Importer Deluxe
- Mijireh 99 Payment Gateways Pack for WP e-Commerce
- WordPress USA ePay Gateway
- DropShop Drag & Drop Cart Widget 3.0
- Market Theme by iThemes
- Amazon S3 Integration for WordPress
- Authorize.net SIM PaymentGateway for WordPress
- Depot Theme by iThemes
- Product Slider Image Carousel for WordPress
Comparison between WP e-Commerce and WP Woo Commerce
Though both the e-commerce plugins from WordPress are for free they have slight differences due to which they have a huge competition in the market. Some of the comparable features are discussed below:
- Documentation: The Woo Commerce documentation is considered to be clean and of lesser bugs when compared to the WP e-Commerce, which has a real messy documentation.
- Marketing: Using WP e-Commerce you can have a great discount sale and issue coupons while in Woo Commerce you can have flash banner for sales and also personalize the discount coupons to your customer’s profiles.
- Shipping: Both the plugins support domestic and global shipping of products while making it easier to calculate the shipping rates ad flat rates. The difference comes in where WP e-Commerce is integrated with the UPS, USPS, Australia Post and Shipwire; Woo Commerce has to buy all the extensions.
- Managing Orders: You can have an email notification orders and can export the orders and customers into CSV formats using WP e-commerce while in Woo Commerce you have higher number of options to manage the customers and their orders.
To understand in a simple way WP e-Commerce is a most powerful and industry relevant online shopping cart plugin, through which you can make a beautiful and attractive shop. If you want to upgrade, you always have the premium Add-ons for plugin, possessing greater variety of features and providing wider flexibility. GreenGeeks offers exceptional e-commerce hosting complete with SSL, enhanced security, enterprise hardware, 99.9% uptime and more.