A PHP Content Management System (CMS) is a piece of code, which is written in PHP language that helps you build and manage your website. Many off-the-shelf CMSs are available in the market so that you need not develop your own PHP CMS. In order for you to install and run a PHP CMS, you would need to find a suitable CMS Hosting provider.
The advantages of using few existing PHP CMS:
- Support: Most of these popular PHP CMSs are community driven and they have an excellent up-to-date documentation in place. They also provide you fantastic support whenever needed through various means such as blogs, forums, FAQs and so on.
- Sturdy: Though it is community driven, they are well tested before they release a new version. You can blindly get the latest version and start using it.
- Plugins and Templates: Most of these CMSs come with few free themes and plugins. You can also download them from various websites or you can also buy them.
WordPress and Joomla
WordPress and Joomla are the pioneers in PHP CMS fraternity. Some of the advantages of using WordPress and Joomla are discussed here.
- Open Source Software – Due to its open source nature, WordPress can be used by all sets of users starting from novice to expert. It simply means that you can download the software, install it, make the necessary changes, and use as per your requirements.
- Easy to Setup – WordPress is one PHP CMS that you can install very easily. It has easy steps that guide you through the entire process. Installation can be completed within five minutes.
- Effective Customization – WordPress can be easily customized to your own choice. It has support for multiple themes and plugins that can be installed to customize your website.
- Easy to Setup – Similar to WordPress, Joomla can also be setup very easily, within five minutes
- Multi-user Support – Joomla can support up to nine different users, managing your site. Joomla is mainly preferred for multi-authored environment
- Effective Plugin Support – Similar to WordPress, Joomla also provides multiple in-built plugins that you can use to customize your site. Even, you can install the free or paid plugins available in the market.
Other Popular PHP CMS
Some of the other popular PHP CMSs are discussed here.
- Anchor CMS: Anchor CMS possess a very simple interface and the installation takes only very less time (less than a minute). This CMS supports custom field, simple theming, multiple languages and Markdown editor.
- Bolt CMS: Bolt CMS is a simple and direct tool. It is very easy to install, configure and it is pure ecstasy to use this CMS. This CMS is developed using most of the recent Open Source libraries and hence it is apt for building HTML5 websites.
- CMS Made Simple: CMS Made Simple is an Open Source CMS that is much faster when compared to the other CMSs and allowed your website content to be managed easily.
- GetSimple CMS: GetSimple CMS is based on XML and it is a completely independent and light content management system.
- Kirby CMS: Kirby CMS is an user-friendly, easy to install and flexible CMS. This CMS does not need any database setup as it uses the flat file technology. The jQuery APIs used in this this CMS make learning an easy task. It supports templates, plugins, MarkDown syntax, and excellent documentation.
- Pico CMS: Pico CMS is a very simple CMS. It does not have any backend for you to go and edit though there is a plugin that can be used to enable this feature. Database queries are not used in this CMS and hence this CMS works very fast. This CMS mainly supports twig templates and markdown formatting.
- PyroCMS: All types of users use PyroCMS, starting from individuals to large enterprises. It is very easy to build and manage different types of websites and web applications. Some of the key features are its powerful add-ons and multi-site managing capabilities.
- Monstra CMS: Monstra CMS is a very simple, easy to use and light PHP Content Management System written in PHP! Monstra CMS has a very good number of plugins that can be downloaded and used in your websites.
- Wolf CMS: Wolf CMS is developed mainly for advanced website developers. It has lots of snippets, plugins and themes to customize the website.
From the given list, each CMS has its own advantages and disadvantages. It might be tough to narrow down on a particular CMS. Once you are ready with your requirement, you can filter these CMSs and find the best CMS that suits your requirement.
Apart from these CMSs there are also few upcoming PHP CMSs available in the market such as Alfresco CMS, Dacomasy PHP CMS, Frog CMS, glFusion CMS, ImpressCMS, MODx CMS, Pixie PHP Open Source CMS, TYPOLight CMS, Xaraya PHP CMS and Zimplit CMS.