Joomla 1.7 is yet another software version release. However, with Joomla 1.7 the Joomla community has successfully met the decision announced with the launch of Joomla 1.6. The community decided to have a six-month release cycle while launching Joomla 1.6 and Joomla 1.7 has been the first release of the cycle. The software has been released after resolving certain issues and with further enhancements to the feature set. Joomla 1.7 is an older version of Joomla, whereas Joomla 2.5 is the successor with even more wider feature set.
Features of Joomla 1.7
The Joomla 1.7 feature set which includes the new improvements is not as visible when compared to the other releases from Joomla. Some of these important and crucial improvements are mentioned below:
- Assign different menu items in your website in different languages with the advanced language feature in Joomla 1.7.
- Joomla 1.7 has come up with a built-in version updater. With this feature in hand, you need not worry about the lengthy and time consuming software upgrade process.
- The Joomla Platform and CMS are differentiated into two different elements altogether. This is a unique feature wherein just like the media files and libraries your CMS sits in the platform of Joomla 1.7.
- A predefined search function is made available with Joomla 1.7.
- One click upgrades are available from your admin page for all your extensions. You can go to Extensions > Extension Manager > Update > Find Updates to update all your extensions in just one click.
- Including your website’s name in the title of each page of the browser has become easier with Joomla 1.7. Go to the SEO setting of your website and select the place where your keyword or website name or company name has to appear in the option “Include Site Name in Page Titles”.
Download and Installation
Downloading Joomla 1.7 is a one-click process. It is very similar to the download process of Joomla earlier versions. You can download the full package of Joomla 1.7 or the update package at the following URL http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/joomla/frs/?action=FrsReleaseBrowse&frs_package_id=5986 .
A series of steps need to be performed to successfully install the downloaded software. Check for all the basic system requirements before commencing the systematic installation process for Joomla 1.7.
- A minimum hosting service of PHP v. 5.2.4+and MySQL 5.0.4+ are required. PHP v. 5.4 and MySQL5.0.4+ are recommended
- Apache 2.x+, Nginx 1.0 (1.1 recommended) and Microsoft IIS 7 are considered as the supporting browsers
- Access to MySQL database and details such as DB Name, Hostname, Password and Username
- FTP Client or Filezilla for the purpose of transferring the files
After meeting the basic system requirements, you can commence with the installation process for Joomla 1.7 by performing the steps mentioned below:
- Unzip the downloaded software package. Transfer files to the core of your website.
- Click the Next button after choosing the default language for your software application.
- The software runs a series of server and system checks. After this, you can ensure the smooth functioning of Joomla on your website post installation.
- Review the GNU License agreement and click Next button.
- To ensure configuration setup between database and Joomla, key in all the necessary database related credentials such as DB Name, Username and Password.
- FTP configuration is an optional step in the installation process. You can simply add your login and enable FTP if needed.
- In the Site Configuration page for Joomla 1.7, you have to text in your Site name and Admin details (Password, email address, Username).
- Click the “Remove Installation Folder” button to delete the Joomla 1.7 installation folder for security reasons.
Upgrading to Joomla 1.7
The steps to be followed to upgrade your website from Joomla 1.6.5 or 1.6.6 to Joomla 1.7 are briefed in the steps below:
- Have a thorough check on all the extensions currently installed and their compatibility with latest Joomla 1.7.
- Take a backup of all the files and folders in the database before you begin the upgrade process.
- Select the Extensions > Extensions Manager option from the Admin page.
- Click the Update option. Select the Find Updates and Purge Cache options available on the upper right of the page.
- Select the check box on the left side of the latest Joomla version. Depending upon the system speed, the software would require a few minutes to replace the files. You will be redirected to the admin page and a message would be displayed stating no available updates after the successful completion of the upgrade process.