If you initially registered your domain name with another host or a domain registrar, you can transfer the domain to GreenGeeks, so all of your website management and billing is in a single account.
Transferring a domain name to GreenGeeks is a relatively easy task. But a few requirements must be met before any domain transfer can be done. We’ll take you through the steps to make sure your domain is ready.
First, a couple of questions:
Has the domain been registered for at least 60 days? A domain is not eligible for transfer until 60 days after initial registration.
Is the domain expired or close to the expiration date? Expired domains or domains within 14 days of their expiration date cannot be transferred and must be renewed at the current registrar.
Steps to Transfer Your Domain Name to GreenGeeks
- Check the domain contact information. You should be the “Admin Email” in the whois record for the domain. The administrative email contact authorizes the domain transfer once the process has begun.
- Disable whois privacy protection. If your domain uses whois privacy protection, it must be disabled while the domain is being transferred so you can respond to transfer confirmation emails.
- Point the domain’s name servers to GreenGeeks.
Contact your current domain registrar for name server update instructions. The name servers cannot be changed during the domain name transfer process.
- Unlock the domain. Contact your current registrar for instructions.
- Get the domain authorization code. Contact your current registrar for the code (they may refer to it as an “Auth Code” or an “EPP Code”).
- Complete the Domain Transfer Form, and we will start the transfer process.
Domain transfers can take several days to complete. That time can be reduced if you respond to authorization emails sent to the domain’s admin contact as quickly as possible.
Which Domains Are Eligible to Transfer?
There are almost 2,000 Top Level Domains (TLD – the part of the domain after the dot). And while many of them can be transferred to GreenGeeks, there are some cases where a transfer is not possible. Check this list, and if your TLD appears there, it can be transferred to GreenGeeks.