GreenGeeks takes security seriously and we’re working on ways to make it easier for you to enjoy a safe hosting experience. Over the last 8 months we have been working on improving our abuse workflow in an effort to ensure we are offering the best hosting experience in the industry.
Here’s the problem…
Websites get hacked. This is a fact of life. 99% of customers whose websites are infected are innocent and they have no idea that they’ve been affected. Many of our competitors treat these customers as culprits and leave it to the customer to resolve the issue themselves or find a service to help them navigate and resolve the issue. This is not the way we want our customers to experience our web hosting platform.
What are we doing about it?
While there is no fool-proof way to prevent all types of malware attacks, GreenGeeks has made huge changes to our approach to provide a better experience for our customers. Instead of telling our customers that they will have to fix it themselves or to find a developer to solve their malware issue, we will attempt to fix. We have developed a wide range of cleaning methods for almost every scenario and while we can’t fix everything, we’re able to successfully resolve 99% of the most common types of infections and patching repeat issues on customer websites. At the same time, adjusting our network-level detection to prevent further compromises to other customers.
Here is a summary of what we’ve done and are doing.
- We’ve achieved a 99% cleaning success rate for 726+ customer websites since January 2019. Previously, these customers would have had to fix their websites themselves, or hire a service to do it for them.
- Continually update our in-house malware definition base with the latest threats and common points of compromises, focusing on trends to thwart issues.
- Pro-actively recommending customers remove old and unused installations of scripts, themes or plugins to safeguard against attacks.
- WordPress update support for core versions, themes, and plugins as well as improve overall website performance.
- Providing education via documentation, Q&A’s and Webinars to customers to avoid common infection issues.
While GreenGeeks is more than happy to help with malware removal and answer any questions as part of your service with us, the key to ensuring a secure hosting account is to do constant maintenance and a review of your accounts. We provide many tools such as auto-updates and reminders to keep you aware in case you forget. Keeping your account tidy is a good way to ensure you don’t have to take advantage of our awesome security services — but if you do, we’ve got your back.
If you’re an existing customer and concerned about the security of your website, do not hesitate to reach out to us by submitting a ticket via by logging into GreenGeeks. our team will be happy to perform an audit and provide recommendations.