About a month ago, we wrote an article about some changes that were being made to the PHP versions across our fleet of servers. We have made some changes to the procedure for using either PHP 5.2 or 5.3. Over the past few weeks, we have been making changes to our servers in order to make 5.3 the default PHP version for new customers. For our existing customers, you are being notified via email when this change is made on the server you are on. If you are currently using PHP 5.2, we are adding the following line to your htaccess to make sure that continues to happen:
AddHandler php5_2-wrap .php
For those now wanting to use PHP 5.3, you may simply remove that line from your htaccess file. For those currently using the 5.3 handler, there is nothing for you to do and PHP 5.3 will continue to be your PHP version.
Rest assured that your desired PHP version will remain the same, and only those who want to upgrade to PHP 5.3 will need to make the change to their htaccess file. We expect all of our servers to be using this system by the middle of June. If you have any questions about these changes, we are always here to help. Please contact us with any questions you may have.
Security and backup for your website has always been a big deal for us here at GreenGeeks and we put a great amount of energy to ensure your website data is secure and backed up… we run on the principle of being safe than sorry — so as far as your website is concerned, you’re covered.
But what about the files on your PC? With technology being a big part of our lives, you run the risk of losing everything just by clicking the wrong link in your e-mail! Regular PC backups are important and you shouldn’t neglect it.
We’re proud to announce that we’ve partnered with ZipCloud to offer GreenGeeks customers a FREE automated backup trial and unlimited storage space for your personal files from ZipCloud.
What are the risks of not regularly backing up your PC?
Without backing up your data regularly, you run the risk of losing valuable documents, music, videos, pictures, years of memories due to corruption by viruses, malware, hard drive failure or human error. Here are some quick facts to prove it:
- Hard Drives fail 15 times more than manufacturers estimates.
- 46% of users lose their data due to drive failure every year.
- 50% of all hard drives fail within 5 years from purchase.
- 1/3 of IT pro’s believe that data loss may lead to bankruptcy.
- 70% of small businesses consider just 1 data loss event risky.
- 50% of them have already experienced data loss to some degree.
Get Free Automated PC Backup in the Cloud Now!
The best way to prevent a disaster is to be pro-active, not re-active. Don’t wait until all your data is gone before you start thinking about backing up your precious data. ZipCloud is the easiest way to keep your files safe and secure. It will automatically backup all of your computer files to the cloud, your data will be safely stored and you can access it anytime from any device in the world simply by logging into the ZipCloud control panel. Sign up now and protect your data!
- 100% Automated Backup of your files
- Unlimited Storage
- Encrypted & Secure Backup
- Access Files from Anywhere in the World
- FREE Trial for GreenGeeks customers.
Please see our post here for the new information on how to choose between the two PHP versions.
We’ve been working hard over the past few months to introduce a new feature that is pretty exciting for us. Keeping our servers up to date with the most variety of software has always been important to our team. We have been developing a way for our customers to choose between PHP 5.2 and 5.3 for those who need the latest version. After rigorous testing, you now have the ability to run PHP 5.3 on your hosting account. In order to do this, simply add the following line to the .htaccess file within your account at (/public_html/.htaccess):
AddHandler php5_3-wrap .php
That’s all there is to it! Your hosting account will now be utilizing PHP 5.3. We are always looking for new ways to improve your experience with us so as always, if you have any questions about this or would like to suggest new things to us, simply contact us.
Have a great week!
We’re always looking for ways to improve your hosting experience with us. One request I seem to get quite often is to help a customer to switch their mail servers over to Google Apps. Google has a very robust mail and application service that is used by millions throughout the world. Many of our customers have chosen to direct their mail to Google, and we want to make doing this as simple as possible.
You will notice a new icon in your cPanel called “Google Apps Wizard”. Clicking on this icon will allow you to setup your email for Google Apps by doing all the settings changes for you. Simply select which domain you want to setup, and our tool will do the rest. This eliminates the more complicated process of manually setting up your MX records.
We want to hear about any features you think we should introduce. Feel free to write a comment on this post, or contact support with any suggestions you may have.
Have a great week!
I love talking to people on the phone because it is obvious how passionate I am about the level of service we provide here. I think the most frequent question I get is “Why should I choose GreenGeeks?. While you could read our why us page, I wanted to point out a few things that separates our servers from other companies. Over the past year, we have been working hard to continue to provide servers that are secure, stable, and efficient. These improvements have allowed us to deliver a greater level of service to our clients, and it really shows. So what exactly sets us apart?
- We have been utilizing cloud kernel technology in all of our shared servers to ensure that each user is separated from one another. This has significantly improved server uptime and one user being able to slow down the entire server.
- Security has always been important for us, so we are now implementing a piece of software that gives each user their own fully functioning file system on the server. This provides incredibly enhanced server security and reduces the risk of damage from script exploits.
- Our servers are never overloaded. While other hosting companies throw as many customers as they can on a server, this is never the case with us. Our years of experience have given us the knowledge to distribute clients evenly. We know that cutting corners is not the way to do business, and we want you to have the best hosting experience possible. I speak to customers all the time who come from hosts that don’t seem to understand this, and they always love their server performance when moving to us.
- Our servers are monitored every second by third party networks to ensure uptime, performance, disk integrity, and many other monitoring metrics. We know that every second your site is down or slow is detrimental for your website, so we take monitoring of our server fleet very seriously.
- We only utilize the best server hardware and network. Our cutting edge processors and RAID-10 disk drives ensure the best possible server speed. Our American and Canadian data facilities are some of the best in the world. These superior networks are critical in giving your site the fastest loading times possible.
These are just some of the many things we do to give you the best experience possible. Superior networks and hardware are not an inexpensive thing to provide at such affordable pricing, but we strive to continue to deliver this superior hosting service to you at the best price we can.
(Trey Gardner, CEO of GreenGeeks – Pictured Above)
DrupalCon Denver 2012 was a hit. The attendee count was 3000+, which is awesome! Taking from last year’s success at DrupalCon Chicago, we decided to go bigger and better. We spent over $300 dollars in candy to provide Drupalistas the sugar energy fix they needed to get through the great seminars, speeches and all the great great events that went down at DrupalCon.
In addition to educating Drupal developers, designers, users, fans… what GreenGeeks is/does and how we’re the leader in green energy web hosting, we were giving a chance to enter to win 1 of 3 prizes that will be given away on April 15, 2012.
It was a pleasure to meet all of the potential customers and of course our beloved existing customers.
Remember, if you don’t choose us as your green hosting provider, choose a hosting provider that is.
Until next year…
Yup! We’re still giving them away! To kick off the new year, we awarded Anna an iPad 2! She chose the white!
Here’s what she had to say about when she first heard about winning: “My first reaction was that it was a joke, and I was thrilled! I love Green Geeks so far- I’m happy that I am being green while running my business!”
Anna designs homemade, hand made crafts. Check out her site: http://www.annajoycedesign.com
I’ll be making regular blog posts about what we’re up to here at GreenGeeks and how we tackle customer service differently from other companies.
One of my jobs as a customer service supervisor is to monitor a series of calls from each of our agents and rate them using a list of criteria that we have established each week. This is nothing really new in the world of call centres and customer service. However, I find that fewer and fewer hosting companies are implementing this as a way of evaluating their staff. I believe this process is important for a number of reasons:
- It eliminates issues at the source rather than seeing angry emails from customers when it is too late.
- It lets the agents know exactly what management is looking for in the perfect call scenario.
- It gives the agents the idea that any call may be scrutinized, so they should be acting professionally during every second throughout the call.
The use of call reviews has resulted in a number of great successes for us:
- Each call follows the same format so regardless of whom you speak with in the company, you know your call experience is going to be the same.
- Emails about call issues have decreased
- Agents seem happier being able to get a precise gauge of how they are doing each week.
If your company deals with as many calls as we do each day and you are not doing regular analysis of random calls, I recommend you open up Excel and start defining what you are looking for in terms of call flow and call resolution. Here are a few of the criteria that we look for. Notice that they are quite broad, but touch on critical issues that we needed to get right on each call:
- Did the agent thank the customer for calling and mention their name?
- Did the agent confirm relevant account information and authenticate the caller?
- Did the agent answer the questions properly and offer the best solution?
We use these and many other criteria in determining a grade for each call. We have found that this model has greatly improved customer satisfaction at GreenGeeks. It is just one of the ways that we take customer service seriously here.
We know, this is a bit late… but the winner sent this one in late! They decided to take the money instead of the iPad. The winner was: The Northeast Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics. Here is the picture they took for us:
The lucky winner of our December 2011 iPad Winner is Antoinette Izzo from Surprise, Arizona! When we called her, she definitely was surprised! She opted to take the money instead of the iPad 2.
We’re giving an iPad 2 away every month to new customers. To learn more, see our iPad 2 Giveaway Page.